Monday, July 2, 2012

Royal Icing Ear of Corn

I'm not a fan of vegetables by any means; if I attempted vegetarianism I'd starve to death. However, there's something about corn that I like, and I thought I'd try piping a tiny ear of it. The supplies are quite minimalist: a parchment paper square for each ear, yellow royal icing in a bag with a round #2 tip, green royal icing in a bag with a #65 leaf tip, and a dusting pouch filled with a 50/50 mix of powdered sugar and cornstarch. 
Basically, you want to pipe a canoe of sorts with the leaf tip. Pipe one gently curving line about 1" long, while holding the tip against the parchment but angled so one side of the tip is just above the surface. 
 Pipe a complementary leaf opposite it. Now you have the "husk."
 Pipe a wavy leaf or two, and allow the husk to firm up for a few minutes.
 Pipe a whole bunch of dots in rows down the center for the kernels.
 How cute would this be on cupcakes served at a barbecue or even on corn muffins; has anyone ever thought of decorating muffins? I think the time has come!

No comments:

Post a Comment